Monday, November 12, 2012

Day 19: Trade bitterness for belief

Hi Team Gratitude,

How have you been doing with “changing your words” over the last few days?  I hope that you are finding yourself giving more compliments, being more determined, and using more positive self talk. For our 4th day of “change your words, change your life”, we are trading our bitterness for belief. 

 “Believe in yourself and all that you are. Know that there is something inside you that is greater than any obstacle.” Christian D. Larson (highly influential early New Thought leader, teacher, and writer)

The dictionary defines these two words as follows:

·         Bitterness: expressive of severe grief or regret; exhibiting intense animosity or jealousy

·         Belief: a state or habit of mind in which trust or confidence is placed in some person or thing

 Let’s look at our word “trade out” for today with real life examples:

Situation #1:

·         Bitterness: “The Smith’s have a bigger and nicer house that we do.  Why can’t we have a bigger and nicer house? That house must be why they are so happy all the time.”

·         Belief: “We have so much to be grateful for.  Our happiness does not lie in the size of our house but in the love of our family.”

Situation #2:

·         Bitterness: “When am I going to catch a break? Good things never happen to me.”

·         Belief: “I know that if I use my talents and believe in myself, I can accomplish great things!”

Recently, as I was going through some old things, I came across a poem that I had written in high school.  Thought that I would share it with all of you… although I was only 16 or 17 year old when I wrote this (so pardon any grammar errors), I think the insight in the poem is actually pretty good:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Believing in Believing

By Amy Abts

Believing is one of life’s keys to happiness.

Throughout my life, I have found that believing in myself, believing in others, believing in the best, believing anything is possible, and merely believing in believing have allowed me to overcome obstacles, face many challenges, and find joy in my life.

I believe that the little things in life are not worth worrying about when the more important things have to suffer.

I believe in the importance of family and the strength of the strength of the bond that ties loved ones together.

I believe in the value of truth, honor, and respect, and the returns that bountifully come from displaying these virtues.    

I believe in closeness of true friendship and in being someone that others can rely on.

I believe that praise, thanks, and appreciation are much more effective than criticism.

I believe that a smile can spark a fire in a fold dark place, and that laughter can kindle that fire into friendship.

I believe in the importance of a warm of a hug, in times of sorrow and joy, times of victory and defeat, or just about any time.

I believe that enthusiasm and good music can make even the most treacherous tasks fun.

I believe in learning from my mistakes, not dwelling on them, and using these life lessons to build a strong and prosperous future. 

I believe in God as my strength and stronghold, who I can always turn to for inspiration, support, forgiveness, and unconditional love.

And most of all, I believe in believing in yourself.  With self confidence and a belief in who I am, anything is possible.  

Look to the strength you carry within yourself, and simply BELIEVE!

  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As classic the classic Journey song goes… “Don't stop believin', Hold on to the feelin'!”
Have a belief-filled day!

Your thankful friend,
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment