Saturday, November 10, 2012

Day 17: Trade Doubt for Determination

Happy Saturday Team Gratitude!

Today we are trading doubt for determination. William Shakespeare wrote “Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.” (Measure for Measure). 

 The dictionary defines these two words as follows:

·         Doubt: a feeling of uncertainty; lack of conviction; lack of trust

·         Determination: firmness of purpose; resolute intention to achieve a desired end

Doubt diminishes self-esteem. Doubt creates fear. Doubt leads us to judge ourselves falsely. 

Determination sparks self-belief.  Determination gives us hope.  Determination leads us to our purpose in life. 

Let’s look at our word “trade out” for today with real life examples:

Situation #1:

·         Doubt: I am not smart enough to get this job.

·         Determination: I am a smart person, and I will get a great job.

Situation #2:

·         Doubt: Bad things always happen to me. 

·         Determination: I am truly blessed, and I look forward to encountering the many blessings that this day will bring.

Again, the choice is all yours in regards to your words and thoughts.  Choose your words wisely today. Will you choose to be a “doubter” (using words of uncertainty, lack of conviction, lack of trust) or will you choose “determination” (using words with firm purpose, resolute intentions, and desire to achieve)?

I will leave you with one of my favorite prayers of determination:

“God grant me serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.”  Your words and your thoughts are two things that you CAN change today.  Take courage and change your doubtful words to words of determination today!

Your thankful friend,

Amy

“If you hear a voice within you say ‘you cannot paint’, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.” Vincent van Gogh

DETERMINATION….

No comments:

Post a Comment