Thursday, October 25, 2012

Day 1: Take the Gratitude Challenge


Day 1: Take the Gratitude Challenge

Hello Team Gratitude!

I have to admit that I am overwhelmed with joy at the responses I received from all of you and with the number of people who are stepping up to the “Month of Gratitude Challenge”!  Thank you for joining me on this fun and hopefully very fulfilling journey. 

Today is DAY 1… Take the Gratitude Challenge! 

As we begin our Month of Gratitude, challenge yourself throughout the day to look at the world around you with a grateful heart!  Stop and take deep breathes often, seeking the beautiful blessings that surround you and offer praise for them!  Give genuine compliments and thanks to as many people that you can, including yourself!  See the good in all people, even those that may cause you stress. Seek not to complain, but instead let positive thought and words envelope your mind, your mouth, your heart, and your soul.       

DAY 1 also begins our journey of writing in our Gratitude Journal.  This is a simple task, but one that is truly meaningful and hopefully life changing. 

Here’s how your Gratitude Journal works:

For the next 30 days in a row, starting TODAY, record 5 or more things you are grateful for each day and why. These “gratitudes” should be something different each day and they need to be specific; you cannot say you are grateful for your family or for your friends without saying why. It’s helpful to choose the same time each day to write in your journal – you may choose to do this right before bed or if you are a morning person, you may like to kick off your day with it. You may want to set a reminder on your phone or computer for a specific time each day. Just find the time that works best for you.

It doesn’t matter whether you handwrite your gratitude journal or do it in electronic form. It doesn’t matter if you have a fancy journal or just grab whatever scrap piece of paper you have around. What does matter is that you spend a few minutes reflecting on past 24 hours and writing down the things that you can appreciate. Try not to make it one more thing on your to-do list, but rather slow down and open up to those feelings of appreciation for the blessings you have in your life, for everything you are grateful for. Here are some good examples of the “what and why” of writing your gratitudes:

I am grateful for…

§  My husband who helped make the kids lunch today because it helped me get them out the door on time.

§  The hug my son gave me this morning showing me that I am loved.

§  The phone call from my dad so I am reassured his health is well.

§  My friend who sent me a funny picture which made me laugh and smile. 

§  The quiet moments when the baby was sleeping where I was able to read my Bible and pray. 

Enjoy this time of reflection and soak in the blessings of your day!

Again, thank you all for joining me on the Month of Gratitude Challenge! Several of you have asked if you may forward my email on to your friends and invite them to participate as well… and the answer is ABSOLUTELY!  The more gratitude we can create in this world, the better!  If they would like to be on my official “Team Gratitude” email list, please just have them drop me an email. 

I pray that each of you are truly blessed today and in turn have a chance to bless others with your attitude of gratitude!

Your Thankful Friend,

Amy


 

No comments:

Post a Comment